Sunday, June 30, 2013

Camping Stove Repair

So after many years of faithful service our trusty camp stove finally started to fail us. At the end of last season one of the burners knobs had stopped adjusting the volume of gas to the burner. We looked at purchasing a nice shinny new one but instead tried to fix it. Many of you that know me might think. Sean with tools and explosive gas sounds great, which hospital did he go too. But give me some credit a german car could be considered an explosive in the wrong hands. After a quick once over of the stove it seemed as simple as it looks, gas line,valves and a couple burners. Note this was for a burner not adjusting this may or may not work if your burner is completely dead. Stove is a Great Land two burner.



 Disassemble

Turn burner knob out far enough to to gain access to the nut behind to knob (yeah i know, haha).

Then unscrew the knob until it comes out of the assembly.
Next flip the stove and unscrew the burner and remove

At this point I removed the brass restrictor (piece that goes between the knob and burner pipe). I sprayed a cleaner in the direction of gas flow and found it was not spraying out of the restrictor well.This indicated that there was debris in the restrictor.I then cleaned with an spray solvent in the opposite direction of the gas flow. I then rechecked the spray in the correct direction and found it was now flowing properly. I let the brake cleaner dry and reassembled. Once assembled i ran a small amount of propane through the system to ensure no brake cleaner was left and waiting to go bang.


 All said this was a repair well worth the time invested. The stove was repaired in very little time and saved us from purchasing a new stove. Old stoves have much more camping cred and Coleman doesn't make green stoves anymore. There now shinny black and look more like a yuppie kitchen appliance than a manly camp stove.I hope someone someday finds this and attempts repair on there old stove, to all of the others that could care less about stove repair sorry maybe next time there will be a hospital story to go with it.


11 comments:

  1. Hey Sean, I just stumbled across your post while looking for replacement parts for this stove. I have one of these but the hose is missing and I cannot figure out where to get a replacement. You wouldn't have any ideas would you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura. I'm in the same boat as you. I been searching high and low and still can't locate one. Sean, any idea where we could get the replacement hose?? If anyone know please email me at hipnotik501@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog. I've been trying to find a place where I can buy two burner camp stoves so for a low price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As silly as it might sound you may also be able to have one made fairly cheaply. We used to have to get A/C hoses made for RV's at the dealership and cost wise it might not be that bad. Sorry for the delay i usually tells me when i get comments and i must have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man thanks so much for this blog. I got the pair of stoves working. You are a life saver

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for imparting such a helpful blog ..you can also visit our website that provides an Emergency Electrician
    services at any time any where.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any ideas on where to get spare knobs?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey,

    Getting a camping stove is not easy, that too with very less big companies, as we can't find the best camping stoves.

    But I have not only purchased one of the best camping stoves but also helping peopel do so on my website and you have also written a good post on this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.
    oven repair

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good article, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this subject. Keep posting.
    cooking range price in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thank you! Viking, Wolf, Dacor stove repair in LA JOLLA

    ReplyDelete