Sunday, July 14, 2013

Primitive Camping with kids

Camping for many is still a great way to spend a weekend. Most people remember trips when they were kids and hold very fond memories of those times. I am no exception, I love the mountains and I try to expose my children to them as often as I can. While planningg our most recent camping trip we settled on going to the Silver Fork area outside of Kyburz. For reasons I can't exactly explain I have never taken my children there. This may not seem strange to some as there are many places I haven't take my kids yet. This to me was blasphemy, I grew up camping there and had been there in every era of my life. I went as a child, as a punk high school student, a know it a high school grad, and with my wife before our kids were born. So how in the hell had I not taken my own kids here?

So there's a catch. As with most things there has to be a catch and this was no exception. The catch is this we would be "dispersed camping". For those of you unfamiliar with the term it is camping outside of an organized campground.  No running water, no toilets no tables or fire rings. I personally do not mind not having those things All of those problems can be solved very simply and inexpensively.  We bring our own water and had a total of 13 gallons with us. That's plenty for our family and will last 4-5 days if you use it wisely. We also bring our own potty. Its a 5 gallon bucket with toilet seat inside is a puncture proof bag with a special powder that solidifies all the nasty stuff. We had 2 tables one fold up camping table and the other was fashioned out of plywood and 2 sawhorses. Unfortunately there is no solution to the fire problem if the forest has restrictions in place, no campfires only propane. You must also have a fire permit, though they are very easy to acquire.

The trip it self was wonderful. We were able to camp at the very same spot I camped as a child. So the trip was very nostalgic for me which is not usually something that effects me. My wife and kids loved the location as it was 10 feet from a creek and 50 feet from a waterfall. There was swimming holes galore at this particular spot so the girls spent 3 afternoons playing in the creek. I was able to sneak out on thursday a fish a little and couldn't help but laugh when I can across a particular boulder. There are several of you that should recognize this and why I found it funny. My how things change.
Sometimes its amazing I'm still here.



Our trip was not without some drama. There was a couple of kids walking through our camp with firearms that received a very stern warning. The next day my composure way tested to the max when a group of 12 had decided that of  all the miles of river they could access they would party right in front of our camp. I resisted my internal urge to make a scene as we were already planning on going home. Stupid and inconsiderate people make my life very hard sometimes.

I suppose what this rambling post is about would be to take your kids to a spot that's special. Special doesn't have to cost a fortune. This trip cost gas money.  Take them to that fishing spot your dad used to take you, go camping at a spot with special memories. Whatever it is pass those memories on to your kids. I smiled every time my daughter asked "daddy did you swim here when you was a little boy?"

Not a bad breakfast nook
Links to some primitive camping necessities we currently use.
water container
http://www.rei.com/product/777828/reliance-jumbo-tainer-water-container-7-gal
toilet and bags
http://www.rei.com/product/679029/reliance-luggable-loo
http://www.rei.com/product/771485/reliance-double-doodie-waste-bags
fire permit
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5395989

No comments:

Post a Comment