Saturday, August 17, 2013

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor

Recently while on our weekly Friday date with Great Grandma she had wanted to get some ice cream We were in the neighborhood of the new Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour. Now I have never eaten at Farrell's before so I must admit I wasn't quite prepared for what I was in for.

My first impression apon walking in was wow this place is noisy and very busy. All the employees are dressed in period clothes,though the period they were in i'm not quite sure.  It must be said that this is a brand new establishment and their entire staff is also brand new. We were seated rather quickly and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I was extreamly nervous however  due to the fact that it was my birthday and I really did not want a small marching band screaming happy birthday at me.

Once seated our waitress was over quickly with drink orders and menus. While waiting to order a trend started to become very apparent, they will celebrate anything. The look on my daughters face when she saw 2 little boys getting a song sung to them for "being good kids" was priceless. Birthdays, good grades, you name it, hell one girl just wanted a song sung to here.  The menu was a lot more food heavy than I expected at an ice cream parlor. We had already eaten lunch so I cannot speak to the quality of there food.We all found some ice cream that fit our tastes. I will admit the menu was a little confusing for desert with many specialty type items and not so many make your own or just plain ice cream.

Our orders took a little while considering it was just ice cream, but they were exceptionally busy and everyone is still very new. No big deal our waitress made frequent stops as did additional staff just to check on things. When our orders arrived it was a bit of a let down. Now this is the ultimate American statement but the portions just were not big enough. We had a pretty good sample at our table and the only size that seemed appropriately gluttonous was the child's clown sundae. My wife's specialty sundae was approximately the same size as the child's and Grandma's classic sundae contained more whipped cream than ice cream. I had ordered a chocolate shake and was underwhelmed. The first drink of the shake was room temperature, certainly not what one is expecting when your drinking a shake.  While the quantity of the deserts were lacking the quality seemed good. All were happy with the taste and quality of their ice cream.

I hope this review doesn't come across as bitchy because I really believe that this place will succeed and that there is a place in the market for it. It might just be a new crew that is learning on the fly.  The atmosphere is a tad much for me, I don't need the constant song and dance but that's my preference. The place was crawling with kids that were having a great time and that certainly seems to be the niche they will fill. As kids my parents used to take us to Sam's Town for a treat when when had good grades or did something else noteworthy. Farrell's will be that spot for a lot of kids, just not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment